Thursday, June 13, 2019

Giornale Part 2: ~en Roma~


Waking up quite early, a necessity in order to make it back in time for the morning activity, Claire, Emily and myself began out adventure departing on the train from Lepanto. Upon arriving we were guided on a short walk to the entrance of the Church and old Cappuccini monastery. It was situated on a side street, with tall shady trees looming over it, disguising much of the church from view. These trees prevented the full majesty of the church to be appreciated but the staircase up showed it to still be quite the monumental structure. I began to immediately and eagerly climb the stairs to the highest entrance before Claire quickly called me back pointing to a rather inconspicuous side door. Upon entering I was surprised by the highly modern room that presented itself more as a hotel lobby then as a museum entrance. We quickly payed and proceeded inside and were greeted by the museum before the crypt itself. The beginning of the museum was the most interesting with the origins of the monastery on display with early artifacts. These artifacts ranged from the monk’s daily goods such as their shoes, books and dining goods to their beautiful works of art and above all their reliquaries.
               These were seen as either crosses or books, each with tiny glass fronts which contained splinters and fragments of various relics. Pieces of the cross, toenails of saints, bits of hair, in other words, almost anything that had come in contact with those who are seen as most holy by the church. The museum continued onward in the history of the monastery and their history within the more modern age. This became substantially less interesting to me without any real reasoning but more so due to the lack of material goods and the growing number of photographs, letters, and descriptions of the successes of the modern catholic church.
               We began to speed through the last part of the museum equally due to our growing disinterest in the content and excitement about the approaching crypt. As we entered the crypt, I was initially a little disappointed at the size, I could see the end of it from the entrance and took that as a bad sign. However, my initial reaction was quickly put to bed as I turned and examined the first exhibit. It is at first almost hard to notice the bone, with the exception of the skulls, as they are so expertly intertwined and joined into pieces of art and wall. As I gazed around the room becoming more and more amazed, I looked up for the first time and received a heart attack noticing the bone chandelier mere inches from my head. After this room we were then greeted by the first of the mummified monks. For me their size was the most apparent thing, greatly reduced in stature by the decay of death these men were perhaps five feet tall. After that I was enthralled by their state of preservation. They had noses, nails and teeth and all seemed to be smiling at me as I passed. Through this entire process I was in awe at the pure amount of death around me. In one room I made the mistake of counting the skulls and received a number of roughly 500 on one wall. 500 people on one wall of one of the six rooms. This terrified me thinking about the thousands of people I must be walking past through this museum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment