Monday, February 4, 2019

Blind in the library

Peter Maeder
4th Floor of the Library
Sunday, 4:30 PM
Closing my eyes in public is aided by the weight my eyelids seem to have put on within the last few days. My body settles back as the couch molds to my body, pulling me further back and daring me to even attempt to rise. The background noise grows in volume as my thoughts drift to what the cascade of key clicks, much like an orchestra of metronomes, could possibly be creating. So many people working with different rhythms but all bringing their new thoughts into the world. A table away from me a new noise breaches the peace as a river of murmured curses escape through the lips of a student who finds relief in the crumpling of their paper. The crumpling of paper fades into the cellophane rustling soon followed by the suspicious sent only created by a melody of vending machine snacks. Finally, harmony seems to settle once more allowing me to drift into the concord of typists. This sound encourages me to shift positions and fully lie down on the dust filled couch that has seen me far too many days and nights. As I settle in and perhaps drift a little beyond blind observation the elevator dings and think nothing of it. With my thoughts and nearing sleep not much of the external could permeate the relationship found between me and this sofa. However, the air around me stirs and a familiar scent reaches me nose bringing me back to reality. A warm flow carrying the kind smell of cheap coffee and cigarettes reaches my nose just as the words reach my ear telling me I’ve fallen asleep in the library once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment